The FDA has just announced a massive recall of the popular weight loss supplement, Hydroxycut.
According to the FDA press release dated today, FDA has received 23 reports of serious health problems ranging from jaundice and elevated liver enzymes, an indicator of potential liver injury, to liver damage requiring liver transplant. One death due to liver failure has been reported to the FDA. Other health problems reported include seizures; cardiovascular disorders; and rhabdomyolysis, a type of muscle damage that can lead to other serious health problems such as kidney failure.
Hydroxycut is manufactured and distributed by Iovate Health Sciences. As of this writing, both the hydroxycut.com and iovate.com websites are effectively “down” with all information having been stripped from their home pages. Expect recall notices to be posted there shortly.
A long list of products are included in the recall. They are:
- Hydroxycut Regular Rapid Release Caplets
- Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Rapid Release Caplets
- Hydroxycut Hardcore Liquid Caplets
- Hydroxycut Max Liquid Caplets
- Hydroxycut Regular Drink Packets
- Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Drink Packets
- Hydroxycut Hardcore Drink Packets (Ignition Stix)
- Hydroxycut Max Drink Packets
- Hydroxycut Liquid Shots
- Hydroxycut Hardcore RTDs (Ready-to-Drink)
- Hydroxycut Max Aqua Shed
- Hydroxycut 24
- Hydroxycut Carb Control
- Hydroxycut Natural
According to FDA, one death due to liver failure has been reported. If there is real causation behind this announcement then this could be one of the largest supplement liability issues ever.
Stay tuned for more news as we receive it.