Tahitian Noni in legal tussle with former MLM executive

Tahitian Noni, the Utah based dietary supplement juice maker, has sued former MLM executive Robert Dean who allegedly jumped ship to work for a competitor.

Tahitian Noni won a partial victory in a decision entered in federal district court in Utah.  The court partially granted a preliminary injunction against Dean that will limit his work for Noni’s competitor.  While not a total victory for the supplement maker, the decision demonstrates the value of covenants not-to-compete when used in connection with key employee relationships.

To read the decision, click here.

About 

Joel B. Rothman represents clients in intellectual property infringement litigation involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, defamation, trade libel, unfair competition, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and commercial matters. Joel’s litigation practice also includes significant focus on electronic discovery issues such as e-discovery management and motion practice relating to e-discovery.

Joel B. Rothman represents clients in intellectual property infringement litigation involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, defamation, trade libel, unfair competition, unfair and deceptive trade practices, and commercial matters. Joel’s litigation practice also includes significant focus on electronic discovery issues such as e-discovery management and motion practice relating to e-discovery.

Related posts

4 Comments

  1. Chris Desouza said:

    Breach of ethics is not uncommon in America. It seems everyone from Tim to Tom to Rahm are complicit and beg forgiveness after getting caught.

    No one penalizes them. While a black dude robbing an old lady’s purse gets 2-4.

    This is what America has become. A nation of con men.

  2. MLM Education said:

    The problem is that people do not commit to what they are doing, and always feels that the grass in greener on the other side. There will always be opportunities, you have to stick with one and concentrate so that you can become successful.

  3. Carmenlita Holloway,PhD said:

    I find it interesting that people think that leaving one MLM for another MLM is considered “jumping ship” or a display of lack of commitment/loyalty. Working people change jobs everyday for a variety of reasons … How is this different? When an executive, manager, employee or even “you” begin to feel that they’ve reached an end-of-the-road position, reach the glass ceiling or desire to make more money and opportunity present itself with another company, it’s not considered “jumping ship”. No one normally challenges that. Robert Dean made an ungodly amount of money for Noni, they would not have tried to sue him otherwise. When the prized horse decided to leave the stable, all hell broke loose. In MLM’s you’re an independent contractor not an employee, remember that! Be independent and do what’s best for you, because MLM’s allow “you” to determine your worth based on your efforts. If you made 1 million dollar working with company A and you felt you reached a glass ceiling and company B presented you with an opportunity to do it bigger, better and on your own terms … Would you stay? Remember only 2% really make a difference in business and the remaining 98% just follow along. Robert Dean is in that 2%, what percent are you?

Top